Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunshine on my Shoulder, Makes Me Happy!

Start:  Sears Campground/RV Park/Motel/Gas Station/Dollar Rent-a-Car, East Glacier, MT
End:  Campers:  Riverview Campground along the Cut Bank River;  Non-campers:  Super 8 Motel, Cut Bank, MT

Mileage:  50 miles
Weather:  Clear skies, slight wind from the west pushing the bikers to Cut Bank

States Conquered:  Washington, Idaho
States Being Conquered:  Montana
States to be Conquered:  North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

Particulars:  A big "THANK YOU" to residents of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in Browning, Montana.  Obviously the final check of the trailer was not completed correctly and the door was open!  Only travelled 14 miles without noticing and while waiting at a red light, a car full of Native American men pulled up next to me, caught my attention and told me about the door.  Fortunately nothing fell out along the way!

The bikers stopped at a large convenience store in Browning and witnessed a sight to be seen.  According to Mike, "biggest selection of beer, malt liquor and energy drinks that he has ever seen".  And remember, Mike has spent quite a bit of time in Germany.

Speaking of drinks, is it not appropriate that a "Flat Tire" beer was consumed at Pizza Hut in Cut Bank?

Interesting People Along the Way:  Kelly reports that the requirement for staying at the Riverside Campground was to be a hockey fan, even if you aren't.  Go Chicago Blackhawks!

Another thank you to a member of the Cut Bank Branch for letting me know that one of the tail lights on the trailer is not working.  Don't want to get in trouble with the law.  Better have that checked.

As mentioned, Hannah and I attended church services int he Cut Bank Branch.  I would guess close to 100 people were in attendance and they met in an economy size, multi-purpose building.  If you have never attended Church in this type of chapel, a small multi-purpose room is used as the chapel.  The lot is big enough for a ward building, and when the branch is big enough to be a ward, a chapel will be added to the building.

The meeting was conducted by a very humble rancher who wore a bolo tie.  He made mention in his testimony that it had been a difficult Spring and just that weekend he lost three calves.  I visited with him after the meeting and asked him about his ranch.  Apparently there was a severe blizzard on April 29 and he lost several calves as a result.  If his ranch had been closer to our tour route, I would have asked if we could by and visit a real working ranch, but it was 60 miles away.  Would you travel 60 miles to attend Church services?  We're very spoiled in Cedar City!  I'm very grateful that I only have to pass four front doors as I walk to Church.  In fact, I feel guilty when I drive, but sometimes the weather is just too nasty or I'm dragging too much stuff along for my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment