Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The People of Ammon and the Bear Paw Mountains

While visiting the Blaine County Museum in Chinook, Montana, Hannah and I had the opportunity to learn more about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce tribe, their attempted escape to Canada from Oregon through Idaho and Montana and their final battle in the Bear Paw Mountains.

The history of the native Americans and the early settlers of our country is something to be pondered.  There are no easy answers and conclusions.

At the close of the video presentation, the narrator recounts Chief Joseph's surrender to the Army officers.  I turned to Hannah and said, "that reminds me of the story of the people of Ammon in the Book of Mormon".  From the book written by Bruce A. Wilson entitled "The Story of Chief Joseph:  From Where the Sun Now Stands" it says:

"It is late afternoon when he rides slowly to the criest of a slope where Miles and Howard are waiting.  True to his promise, Howard directs Joseph to give his rifle to Miles.  Then Joseph speaks, Chapman interpreting, Wood scribbling on a pad of paper.

"'Tell General Howard I know his heart.  What he told me before I have in my heart.  I am tired of fighting.  Our chiefs are killed.  Looking Glass is dead.  The old men are all killed.  It is the young men who say yes or no . . . He who led the young men is dead.  It is cold and we have no blankets.  The little children are feezing to death.  My people, some of them have run away to the hills and have no blankets, and no food.  No one knows where they are, perhaps feezing to death.  I want time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.  Maybe I shall find them among the dead.  Hear me, my chiefs.  I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.  From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment