Saturday, June 26, 2010

Harpers Ferry, Iowa to Dyersville, Iowa

Start:  Harpers Ferry, Iowa
End:  Dyersville, Iowa

Mileage:  90 miles
Weather:  Not too hot, but very humid

States Conquered:  Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota
States Being Conquered:  Iowa
States to be Conquered:  Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

Particulars:  A report from Joe Thompson:  Today we rode about 90 miles from Harper's Ferry to Dyersville, Iowa. It was medium hot and quite humid, so it was a challenge to complete it fully loaded. The country side was rolling hills (a lot of up and down and what cyclists call "rollers").

Attached find a photo taken near the end of the ride today.

Hannah and I finally reconnected in Cedar City Utah at the SUU Mountain Center.  She attended Science Camp and had a great time!  For me, it was a challenging day to say the least.  I awoke around 1 a.m. realizing that I did not feel well.  I guess it was food poisoning from the sushi that I ate the night before?  The rest of the night was spent on the floor of the bathroom in my mom's home.  Note to self, I could NEVER be bulimic!  It really was quite pathetic--battling the ravages of food poisoning all alone on my last night in my dead mother's home.

I left Salt Lake around 11 a.m. with lots of Sprite and Gatorade in hand.  The normally three hour drive took five after you factor in naps in Santaquin and Beaver.  Fortunately I made it, but just out of Cedar City, my oil change indicator came on.  Good thing, because it made me look at the tag from my last oil change.  It really was time to take care of my car, especially since I was planning to drive back to Salt Lake the next day.

After a few minutes at home reconnecting with the boys, I was back in the car headed up Cedar Canyon to the SUU Mountain Center.  Hannah ws excited to see me and we sat down to have something to eat.  I was able to tolerate part of a sloppy joe, but I didn't want to push it.  There was a short program and then we were off for home.  It was good to sleep in my very own bed!

Interesting People Along the Way:

No comments:

Post a Comment